Saturday, July 07, 2007

......Of NiGerIA and HOPE!

It is slowly becoming a habit, everyday I slowly turn on the computer and load google and do three things….

  1. type ‘nigeria’ into the search window and start ravaging news about ma homeland from almost every source that cares to report shitz n' stuffz.
  2. type ‘akwa ibom’ – the name of my beloved state into the search window and digest the news that contains.
  3. type ‘godswill akpabio’ – my state governor in which I happen to believe very much in into the search window and beging ma day dreaming and analysis.


I can then do other things in peace like check mails, chat and research and lately blog. I always find it very frustrating though reading news from home ever since the election period. There is never enough news especially about my Akwa Ibom State. Itz even more frustrating when I read about Nigeria and find that the news is saturated by reports of kidnapping which previously was an excuse to getting attention and is slowly turning into lucrative business for hungry and maybe, lazy boys who want to do ‘…..what a man’s gotta do in order to survive’ Just get a few boys, arm them with ammo, get them to kidnap any foreign oil worker and demand for a ransom of 60Million Naira. I hope the government will have the discernment to nip this problem at the bud before it becomes another ‘Nigerian myth’ – we have a handful already with the alleged ‘Nigerian email scam’ and all!

It is like everyday I wake up and hope that there will be a MIRACLE particularly in my state and Nigeria as a whole. I dream of my state as a paradise which I will be able to proudly show off to ma foreign friends that I meet as I travel around the globe and even other Nigerians from other states. I think of it as a model state with will synthesize and spearhead the economic and infrastructural development of Nigeria as a country. when I think about the fastest way to m ove Nigeria forward, I shudder because the method would be drastic as it would take a lot of waste of time and resources to get 140 million folks and counting of diverse languages, customs and religious inclination to agree to a 'foul-proof' method of moving our nation forward. Like I will always say, we have a lot to Learn from Malaysia. We should literally 'copy and paste' Malaysia...in ma sick opinion. but, as my favourite quote says '...hope is a good thing to hold on to...'

I refuse to think that all the natural resources that God has endowed us with are curses…we are meant to manage and enjoy them to the best of our ability. I can slowly see patriotism and politics sneak into ma blog, but, what-to-do! Maybe this is what the stuffz is about in the shitz n’ stuffz, maybe vice versa.

Hope is the best thing that I do for Nigeria now, I hope to contribute to laying a strong foundation for my dreams about Nigeria to be realized in the nearest future by supporting a model to evolve through which others will learn from and Follow suit – Akwa Abasi Ibom State!

No comments: