Tuesday, March 29, 2005

...Keep talking!


Sunday could have been said to be a good day for many reasons. Most importantly, as much as people will want to dispute on this, itz the resurrection morning!

Church was great and the Food ranging from rice to chocolates to to coffee to colored eggs afterwards at the Oksenholt's was so satiating. At a point we had stopped eating and commenced feeding ourselves...'twas so appealing.

Either the glycogen in the chocolate or the caffiene in the coffee must have had itz toll on us cos' at a point every body begun to get intellectual. We thought we were talking but 'blabbering' would have defined the situation.

Of a sudden, I came up with this question, 'what is the difference between talking and speaking?'; you bet I heard lots of stories from both young and old. Before giving dictionary definitions, it is worthy of mention the various responses I triggered from this 'rhetorical' question.

Cristine: "When talking, you are just talking"....I completed her sentence by adding - When speaking, you are just speaking.

Iris: Speaking has to do with the tongue whereas talking can be done without the tongue(supossedly).

Russ: Why do we call a speaker Speaker when it can actually sing or ring too?

Ricardo: When talking, you don't know what you are saying or going to say but speaking has to do with an audience - a kindda prepared speech.

Me: I think talking is just spontaneous whereas speaking has to with communicating to people. We've only got Speakers not Talkers huh!

Other irrational responses had to do with "talking to people but speaking to somebody" I guess. Does God talk or speak? Do we talk on the phone or speak on the phone? That was another wonderful query that popped up. The answers given here contradicts itself so fcuk it!

You are going to see the futility of man's wisdom and intellectuality here but it is worth the trouble aight? The dictionary is supossed to solve language problems but it seems to confuse us amuch regarding certain issues. Browsing through The Oxford Student's English Dictonary, I came across some cool craps that might have sounded like this;
Talk: to say or to "speak" something
Speak: to talk or say something
I summarised thus, "when you are talking, you are just speaking, when you are speaking, you are just talking". ain't it?
Isn't this contradicting? I know I am just trying to showcase ma fooly here but itz all good, I had some crappies to jot about didn't I?
I'll leave the questions for comments if any body dares to express your un-knowledge of THE langauge. What is the difference between speaking talking?...tsk...stupid question.
There was not an hint of digression in that piece I swear! plus I did very silly things like playing soccer with some homeys from 8pm to about 10:26pm. I was silly as I played ma trainers out and resorted to playing with ma socks on. That did not stay long either..I ended up playing bare footed. It was so fun that I forgot about life's many problems for thousands of seconds.

No comments: