Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Whatz in a life?

This is fast becoming like a habit. I felt so not like posting for the next couple of days but it appears that I'd do a rethink. Events that are worth reminiscing about have occured during the few couple of days and it is only feasible that I put them in hard memories.
Walking back home from a friend's at about 11:47pm, I am statled with this long queue of vehicles and unusual noise. I was no- less surprised when I saw this completely battered Vehicle embossed in the Chinese Temple just outside college with the bricks that fell off with the impact scattered all over the highway. It seemed like an art-work. How it got in there and how the two humans that were in the car survived still baffles me.
What left me enthralled is our regard for human life. The nonchalant attitude of the so-called fire men who arrived lazily and took like forever to rescue the young man from the trapped vehicle kepy me appalled. Concerned passers-by who had unfinished stubs of cigarettes in their mouth tried to rescue the other occupant of the car and rushed her to the hospital but the poor guy couldn't be got out as the car was locked. The guy wriggled in pain for about 10mins.
The arrival of the 'Bomba' gave me a splint of hope for the guy but when the 'old' men alighted from the truck and walked as if human life was not at stake, I concluded the the guy is half as good as dead. I cursed in between prayers that this young man who apparently was over-speeding does not 'slip-off'.
The crowdedness of the area alone would have suffocated the young man to an otherwise-early death. Wonder what the law-enforcement officers there were doing. There was no 'caution' line drawn to keep people at a distance from the scence and you could see people who should have rather been helping busy taking illegal pictures of the accident scene. Isn't this sick?
After what seemed like 20mins, the dude was taken out into a strecher that took about a minute to unfold and some lazy men strolled away with him. Incidents like this occur just to keep my mind whirling and cursing...why can't people be more passionate about life? I wasn't sure whether to worry about the 'chinese deities' who might have been probably hurt during the bang, the stop-and-look passers-by who were apparently going to cause another accident, or the poor victim who was deciding whether to 'quit' or 'stay'. I'd say he must have been very lucky to have survived that bang!
I left the scene re-accessing my entire life and calculating how easy it is to 'cross-over' or be handicapped for life. I often Wonder how much I have thanked God for keeping me away from this straying casaulties. It could have been me!

No comments: